Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Supplying Dose of Realism


As printed in “The Waco Tribune Herald”, February 2, 2008, Guest Column by Thomas Leath
Two weeks ago in one of the financial newspapers one so-called economist said we weren’t in danger of a recession. I thought to myself: This so-called economist is in fact an idiot. I’m no economist. I am a very informed American who doesn’t appreciate my government not being honest with me about the state of our economic affairs.

The government is bailing out Americans who were stupid enough to buy houses they couldn’t afford, Oil is near $100 per barrel. Gold is approaching $1,000 per ounce. Foreclosures are at an all time high and climbing. The Federal Reserve has lowered interest rates repeatedly since September. Unemployment numbers are rising.

Don’t throw water on my back and tell me it’s raining. This country has major problems. The world has major problems. We are headed for a global recession and things are going to become progressively worse. That’s not pessimism my friends. That’s realism.

China’s appetite for oil rises progressively. The U.S. government talks about becoming less dependent on oil. But the petroleum industry lobby contributes millions and millions of dollars to the pockets of our elected officials. Let’s be real. That’s not going to change anytime soon. It sounds good on the campaign trail, but it’s all talk. China is but one of many examples of how other economies can wreak havoc on our own.

As with life, our country is putting off dealing with the tough issues like energy conservation as long as it can. I’m afraid that’s not going to work out well for us. Challenging days are most certainly ahead. A dose of realism would serve us well as we look to an uncertain future.

______________________

Unfortunately much of my wording was edited. (I really hate that.) Another advantage of blogging your own material on your own site. Regardless, I think I was on to something!

No comments:

Post a Comment