Friday, October 8, 2010

Life's Beautiful Moments...

As many of you know I was in Washington, D.C. this past weekend for my 25th high school reunion. On Saturday afternoon I made my way down to Washington Harbor to meet one of my very best friends, Erik Todd Dellums. As I was walking along the waterfront I noticed a beautiful boat with many people having an incredible time. These folks all just happened to be African American.-As I walked by for the second time I decided to say hello and comment on mow much fun they were clearly having.-I said,"Hey, you guys look like your having an incredible time! Don't you need a token white boy on the boat just to even things out?!-They all seemed stunned for a second, but quickly said something to the effect of,"Get your butt on the boat!!-For the next 5 hours I had one of the best times of my life with a group of people I'd never crossed paths with before.-Now, I have just short of a dozen new friends.-The point of this story is simple: No matter how much politicians and special interests may try to divide us, good people will always find good people.-This diverse group welcomed me into a private birthday party for one of their close friends and treated me like they'd known me for a lifetime.-What an incredible moment in time I will not soon forget.

1 comment:

  1. THAT is a fantastic story and I am so glad to hear of your openness to new people and new experiences. I also grew up near D.C. and thankfully, had a very integrated childhood.

    Oh...also, are you coming to Costa Rica for Ecoweek Scuba/golf and fun? let me know and I'll get you a great deal.

    ReplyDelete