Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The Blackberry Torch Burns Weak

I should have realized early on that if AT&T had something to do with with the development of the Blackberry Torch (9800) it was destined to be fatally flawed.-The folks at AT&T you see, could screw up a one car funeral.-I spent 28 days with the new Blackberry and although there were moments of brilliance, for the most part the phone bombs, big!

Rumor has it the Torch was in development for three years, which impacts the fact that the phone is so bad, much, much more. It's been no secret that OS 6 has been in development for several years. Since that's the case, why would RIM release it with more bugs than the first generation iPhone?!-This phone had the potential to be great, but instead it's guaranteed to frustrate you more and more with each passing day. Not fixed are the persistent tower switching issues that started with the introduction of the 3G Bold. This was the first incredibly annoying problem that caused me to switch phone loyalties in the first place. In layman's terms the phone can't make up its mind whether it wants to grab hold of a 3G cell or an EDGE cell, thus causing dropped calls for the consumer.-The iPhone at one point had this problem, but was fixed with one brief software update.-No such luck with the Torch.-Several years later and this simple problem of telling the phone which type of tower to prefer is still not fixed.-What a load of crap!

With each passing day the phone seemed to become slower and slower, with more faults being revealed. Every time I took the phone out of standby it would take as long as five seconds for me to be able to navigate to where I wanted to go. It was as if the phone locked up. I began to find myself powering the phone off and on more often, and even taking the battery out to try and fix the problem. To no avail, my hopes of once again becoming a loyal Blackberry user were not meant to be. I'm appalled and offended that RIM and AT&T would think for a second that this phone, with all it's giant flaws and imperfections, would fool anybody! Common sense would dictate that if the software your using is so archaic that it's not capable of evolving to where it needs be in the future you might consider finding a new software platform to operate your phone.-Android comes to mind.-It's not quite there yet, but in a year or so it will be.

The last issue I'm going to discuss, the one that really burns me up, is the fact that RIM, knowing they were coming out with a major software upgrade, apparently did not expeditiously enough make it available to developers. One of my favorite applications for a number of years is Viigo.-Viigo is a great, customizable app for keeping up with news. For those of you that don't know, RIM bought Viigo earlier this year and in spite of that had no Viigo app ready for their new OS.-I think that says it all! It's no secret RIM is a small company, but I think it's long overdue for them to step up hiring if they intend to be a player in the big money smart phone business.

Foe now, don't buy a Torch. If you do, I can almost guarantee, you too will be returning it.

No comments:

Post a Comment